Sunday, January 15, 2017

First Week's Warm-Up from Life Book 2017!

This warm-up exercise involves writing stream of consciousness as a bottom layer, collaging followed by adding and activating watercolor crayon as a second layer, then covering that with gesso to keep building up the base leaving the top third of the page with more color/collage visibility.  Then we added our word for the year (mine is balance) plus a symbol with that word in it.  My symbol is a pair of wings with the word written as a border within them.  The number 2s at the bottom play a dual role: one is to refer to the pair (of wings) and one is to represent the word 'to'.

This piece was created through a class offered by Tamara Laporte from Willowing Arts Ltd. For more information, visit this link:

Saturday, January 14, 2017

More Book Poetry/Verse Work!

I've been working on spontaneous book page poetry today.  This is fun for me because I love words and the nuances of language.  Plus I like to wax philosophically sometimes.  Beyond that, it's really interesting to be able to work with others' writing and create something totally different than the writer's intent.

Sunday, January 1, 2017

2016 My Art-Related Year in Review

My accomplishments for 2016:

  • Completed 20 Life Book 2016 projects
  • Made 64 Blog Posts 
  • Took San Jose Museum of Art course on textile design
  • Participated in three Creative Club project efforts 
  • Visited the Broad Museum in Los Angeles
  • Visited the Museum of Modern Art in San Francisco
  • Had two pieces displayed as part of my employer's Activate! Art! project (display of employee art work)
  • Participated in the 2016 Woman Unleashed Online Retreat and completed six projects for it

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Snapshot of 2016 Life Book Work!

With 2016 about to become history, I'm feeling grateful for the work completed this year through the Life Book program!

There has been so much development and growth in my ability, and I'll be continuing it with Life Book 2017 that starts tomorrow.

Another Jenafer Art Intervention

This activity was to take a single magazine and cut out pictures that you like and create a new collage covering an entire page of background paper.  This is what I put together.

A second portion of the assignment to be completed a day later was to cull through the magazine for words that you cut out and create a poem from --- about the collage.  This is what I came up with.

wild kitchen
on an adventure to bring alive senses

what to taste?
air moving in the trees?
red maple?
gold of the oak?

all fall bounty
can produce
magic stories you can feel excite
the fantasy with
lush meals of beauty, whimsy and movement.

Result of lesson as part of 2016 Woman Unleashed Online Retreat founded, organized and facilitated by Amber Kuileimailani Bonnici.

Another Line Drawing with some embellishment

Another drawing based on the technique from Jenafer's video lesson.  There might be a couple lines in this one rather than just one.

Result of lesson as part of 2016 Woman Unleashed Online Retreat founded, organized and facilitated by Amber Kuileimailani Bonnici.

My One Line Drawing

This image was done with Sharpie pen and a blue watercolor pencil on watercolor paper.  It is the result of doing Jenafer's lesson in the video post from yesterday.

Result of lesson as part of 2016 Woman Unleashed Online Retreat founded, organized and facilitated by Amber Kuileimailani Bonnici.

Friday, December 30, 2016

Great Exercise a lesson by Jenafer Joy

I really like this quick and inventive sketching exercise by Jenafer!  This is an offering as part of Amber Kuileimailani Bonnici's "Woman Unleashed" online retreat.

Part of 2016 Woman Unleashed Online Retreat founded, organized and facilitated by Amber Kuileimailani Bonnici.

Friday, November 25, 2016

My Picasso Moment!

I was trying to create a totally different textile print from that shown in the earlier post.  Well, it was a Picasso day with a mood to match, and I created this.  It doesn't particularly work as a textile print (very busy), but it was fun to create!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

SJMA - Textile Design Workshop!

I went to a Textile Design workshop yesterday at the San Jose Museum of Art, offered as part of the museum's current exhibition called 'Beauty.  Tessellation and repetitive imagery was the theme of the workshop and is what is really the foundation of making a print design (textile or otherwise).  After the design is finalized, the imagery can be printed via screen-printing or as a Photoshop-edited image sent to a printer for tiling and reproduction.

Our schedule for the three-hour workshop included:

Task 1:   Look at graphic inspiration from the exhibit;
Task 2:   Draw a base image leaving some white space around the outer edges.  My image was a living room with an antique sofa, Art Deco lamp, and modern painting and rug;
Task 3:   Cut the base image into quarters and re-arrange them (horizontally and vertically) in which you could add more drawn elements into the rearranged to minimize white space and to create secondary designs; and
Task 4:   Using printed copies of the rearranged image, repeat them to see what a textile design would look like.

What I thought worked the best based on student work -- were spontaneous and organic forms rather than planned single images.  Here are photos of my work including the original drawing, the rearranged image, and then a repeating pattern based on the rearranged image that could be printed as a textile design.

Original Drawing (Post Pen and Watercolor)

Quartered and Rearranged Drawing

Repetition of Quartered/Rearranged Drawing - What a Textile Print could look like