- Is the face over-painted?
- If so, does that mean the piece is complete?
- Why does the overall piece feel so bare?
- How do I keep the central image 'popping' if background work is added (to prevent eye distraction)?
- What kind of background would complete it?
I had one idea, not fully formed, of adding in the background--shadowy trees in the style of Eyvind Earle. So, I had to go back and research his work, because I knew I wanted the dark trees and to add depth (e.g. with trees in foreground and in a distance). It was a week or two before I started the background...still unsure if that was what would really complement the image. Well it seems to work.
In the Earle paintings I reviewed, it was clear that his tree work evolved over the years to an incredible level. I see mine as beginner trees that could also evolve in drama and detail, if I work on them more.