Skip to main content

Piece in Progress - Experiment

In Tamara LaPorte's latest Mixed Media Expo (Taster), I started creating the pages for a Concertina book (from a guest instructor's session).  The first part involved making marks and shapes on a large piece of watercolor paper.  I started with a large piece of paper that was already covered with gesso and a bit of green watered-down acrylic. 

From there, we were to play adding whatever we wanted.  So, I added fluid and airbrush acrylics, more watercolor, water-soluble crayon, India and Acrylic inks, Tempera paint sticks, Posca pens, and Sharpie markers.  After drying, we were to slice the paper into three equal strips.  What you see below is the product of my play and the strips cut.    

I'm going to use two of the strips for the Concertina.  The third just didn't work and has been cut into much smaller pieces to stash for other uses.  

What I especially like in this one is the darker green ink applied in a design and then - using a paintbrush - pulling the ink to one side of the loops for contrast.  Not knowing what would happen, I loved the result of doing this!  

As the title of this post suggests, this effort is not done.  I still have the Concertina covers to make as well as to decorate the back-side of the strips.  So, onward!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Wheel-throw Pottery Batch

With this batch, I have 73 successful wheel-thrown pots and bowls...wow!  That is aside from the nearly 40 fails.  So over four months of classes and practice, I've thrown over 110 vessels.  Florian Gadsby would be proud...as I've completed my first 100 throws that he advises getting done as soon as one can!  I owe some of my learning to him and his videos (on YouTube), and the rest to the instructors, staff and students at BHC (the place I've done my work at since June).  Thank you to all my teachers -- meaning all of you in one way or another!

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!