Skip to main content

2007 - In Review

Alyson Stanfield, the ArtBiz Coach, recently emailed her Art Marketing Action newsletter with the message that "It's time to acknowledge everything you have accomplished in the past year."

So, what is that for me?

Using Alyson's questions inventory, let's see.

1. How did you promote your art?

I sent/distributed 5"x7" postcard announcements regarding my first solo exhibit to family, friends, contacts and co-workers. In addition, I took a stack of these postcards and left them at a local craft gallery, quilt museum, and quilt stores (2) in addition to talking up the exhibit as much as I could. Lastly, I even wrote a press release for my exhibit and received positive feedback on it from the person who submitted the information to various media outlets.


2. What did you do to enhance your online presence?

I changed my blog name and its format, created a more user-friendly email address, have a consultant developing a website for me and purchased three domain names.


3. What technological skills did you learn or improve?

I learned a bit about layers in Photoshop in order to put together my exhibit postcard.


4. How many people did you add to your mailing list?

I distributed postcards to many people for the first time. Of those, I haven't added any to a regular mailing list nor am I doing a regular mailing at this time.


5. Who were the top ten cool or influential people you met?

I'll have to think about this one...don't think there were 10.


6. Did you create a new business card, portfolio, or other marketing piece?

Yes to business cards! Also, I worked through Alyson's How to Create a Pain-free Artist Statement in order to develop the bio material for my exhibit program.


7. What medium or skill did you attempt to master?

Working on a regular basis and with firm completion deadlines.


8. What did you try that was completely new?

Putting on an exhibit.


9. What did you try that was uncomfortable, but helped you grow?

Assessing that I could not complete a project for a show, after having registered to participate. and advising the show producer that I would not be able to meet my commitment and extended an apology for whatever inconvenience this may have caused.


10. What new art events, galleries, and museums did you visit?

Quilt National exhibit at Quilt Museum, The Tech Museum of Innovation and the BodyWorlds exhibit.


11. What resources did you discover?

Online printing companies.


12. How did you improve your studio habits?

Rearranged the physical set-up to be more workable.


13. What books did you read to help your career?

Art & Inspirations by Ruth McDowell
Free-style Quilts by Susan Carlson
Quiltings Arts Magazines
Cloth Paper Scissors Magazines
Threads Magazines
$100,000 Quilting Challenge Magazines


14. What seminars/workshops/lectures did you attend?

Quilt University class with Dena Crain


15. What organizations were you involved with?

SAQA
San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles


16. What grants/honors/awards did you receive?

Juried into 2007 Sacred Threads exhibit.


17. What articles were written about your work?

A friend interviewed me to write an article about quilting. The article is under development at this time.


18. What submissions did you make?

*Quilting Arts Magazine - Abstract Art Challenge (Abstract on Portland, OR Bridge) & Doorway to Imagination Challenge ("House of the Thistle People")

*Fast Friday Challenges - monthly projects with online posting of results (multiple with "The Destiny of Flower Children" posted on the Quiltart.com website)

*2007 Sacred Threads exhibit ("Ascension")

*2007 American Quilter's Society Online Competition ("Incadoodle")


19. Where did you save a wad of money?

Don't know.


20. What was the single best thing that happened to your art career in 2007?

My first solo art quilt exhibit titled 'Sections of the Fabric Orchestra'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing 'Kaleidoclown'

For fun, I've drawn one of my own photos (yes, I was dressed in a clown outfit) and added a wild and crazy background to accompany it for today's practice effort. As part of sketching the piece, it was split into four sections with two opposing diagonal lines.  In terms of color choices, I've worked with color gradations for some shape sections.  Can you believe, there are five major shapes in this effort?  There really are -- circles, squares, trapezoids, triangles and spirals. I think the substrate is Biengfang Watercolor Paper (140 lb.).  The materials used were Ohuhu markers, Micron 01 pigment ink pen, some red Stickles glitter glue for the nose, and a white Posca pen (for white dots on the face and to highlight eyes) and a yellow one (for yellow dots in the center of the flowers on the hat). There was no intention in working on this piece other than to have fun...and based on how it looks, I'd say well done!.   One thing I learned is that blending with the Ohuhus i

The Creative Act by Rick Rubin

'The Creative Act', published just this year (2023), is filled with pearls of wisdom!  I've done one read-through without marking up the book.  But I will be re-reading it to digest it much more fully.   With so much in the book, I sometimes felt like I was hearing familiar voices communicating similar thoughts. That includes art course instructors, Ardith Goodwin and Louise Fletcher; words spoken by Goenka-Ji when leading Vipassana meditation retreats; and books by others.  Some of those authors include Brene Brown, John Cleese, Lynda Barry, David Bayles & Ted Orland, Cat Bennett, Austin Kleon, etc.  Without a bibliography or reading recommendations list, I'm really curious about the breadth of reading done by the author.  What/who were his favorite books/authors?  How did he develop his insights into the creative process?     The book is well-suited for marginalia.  If you're wondering what that is, it is writing in the margins to restate what you've read,

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .