Skip to main content

Another UFO - In Process of Finishing



You may have seen this piece in a previous post. It appeared in a Quilting Arts TV segment on completing UFOs a couple of years ago. In this segment series, a guest quilt artist provided suggestions on how to complete pieces submitted by artists who felt stuck on incomplete projects. The suggestions I received from the guest quilt artist who worked up a solution for this piece didn't move me to complete it in the suggested way, even though her suggestions were quite good.

This piece is reminiscent of Hundertwasser. So, I've looked at images of his work online and see that he combined rectangles and lines with circles quite effectively. So, I started to think about what could be done with circles in this piece. The idea used to complete it was to add circular floral-like elements that have a corded stem and then fully wrapped with a different colored cording. I'm pleased with the outcome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...