Skip to main content

Woman Unleashed Online Retreat is beginning!

Consider checking out the Woman Unleashed Online Retreat with host Amber Kuileimailani Bonnici at: http://theradiantmama.com/OP/winter2017/.  I've done her (no cost) retreats for the last three years focusing on the art-related sessions.  She has good instructors!

Project 1 is to make your journal cover--the journal we'll be keeping throughout the workshop.  You can do whatever you want.  Her example was to gesso the cover of an art journal and then paint an image on it.

Mine started out by reusing a piece of cardboard from an 8x10" photo paper package as the base.  Other materials used include metallic tape, alcohol inks, glitter, paint, pen, magazines (for the collage paper), a recycled earring, and reused stitched writing on fabric (with verse that is mine).

There is an outside and an inside.  The inside drawing is a quick self-portrait in pen. The face and hair have been left black and white.  I'm thinking of filling them in with paint or collage after 2018 and finding my tribe. The piece went together smoothly -- just like it wanted to be made this way.  I'm excited to see what other work I come up with during the retreat!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...