Skip to main content

Mandala to a Book!


Over the weekend, I finished reading "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin, and it is just excellent! It inspired me to create a mandala dedicated to 'arting' the highlights from the book in order to remember the most important parts -- from my perspective. It took some time to condense my notes to the main points that could fit in the piece. Above are some photos of it.

The red/white side has quotes from Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln, and the other side has the painted drawings of the four men (that Lincoln won) who competed for the Republican Party nomination for President in 1860 and my handwritten highlights. Both the book and mandala have actually been a labor of love and learning. I started reading the book in October. It is so large (750 pages) that I felt overwhelmed with the effort it would take to read it. But the writing made it so easy, and the book is now one of my favorites. The mandala was a learning exercise too and called me to be ok with experimentation because its not meant to be a professional piece of art; rather it's meant to be a visual book summary. If you wanted to do something like this to recall the information in a book, what book would you choose to create a mandala for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...