Skip to main content

New Pencils

I recently purchased a package of new pencils with a range of 'leads' and am learning about them and pencil history.  

Pencil 'leads' come in a range.  They are typically categorized as H (hard), B (soft; darkness), F (sharpens to fine point) or HB (hard and black).  For the H and B pencils, there can be a number, added to the letter, that distinguishes the hardness of that 'lead'.  H (hard) leads make lighter lines while B (soft) leads make darker ones.  In addition, the higher the number for the H lead, the harder the lead and the lighter the line.  For the B lead, the higher the number, the softer the lead and darker the line. 

In terms of the history of graphite used in the core of pencils, here are some key points:

  • A major graphite deposit was discovered in England in 1565
  • Graphite is a crystalline form of carbon
  • Pencil graphite has no lead 
  • Pencil cores are made of purified graphite power + kaolin (a clay binder)
  • Hard pencils have about 20% graphite; soft ones have up to 90% graphite

As part of adding these pencils to my smorgasbord of tools, I did a line and shading test.  My favorites were the 4B and 7B, because of how they glided across the surface of the paper and the marks they made.  That said, I can see that the range of pencils, though, will be able to serve different needs. 

Comments

  1. This really cool! Thank you for sharing what you learned. I look forward to seeing how this will affect your future works.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Final Wheel-throw Pottery Batch

With this batch, I have 73 successful wheel-thrown pots and bowls...wow!  That is aside from the nearly 40 fails.  So over four months of classes and practice, I've thrown over 110 vessels.  Florian Gadsby would be proud...as I've completed my first 100 throws that he advises getting done as soon as one can!  I owe some of my learning to him and his videos (on YouTube), and the rest to the instructors, staff and students at BHC (the place I've done my work at since June).  Thank you to all my teachers -- meaning all of you in one way or another!

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!