Skip to main content

Practice and Exploration

Last night's effort is an exploration with paper from a new Arteza Acrylic Pad (paper is 246 lb.).  This piece was colored in with Sharpie markers.  Other tools used include a black Pentel PointLiner (0.3mm) and a silver Sakura Pen Touch. The 'white' areas are unpainted substrate.

In this piece, I experimented with more blending of Sharpies for more shadow areas.  What I like most in this are the light and dark pattern areas in the collar that align with the wavy lines.

The Arteza paper used has a subtle, linen-like design on the paper creating a barely perceptible texture on the paper's surface.  As can be seen in the blue background, the Sharpies didn't cover as easily as they do on watercolor paper. Using this paper, I sometimes had to apply two separate applications of the Sharpie for better coverage.  That said, there was absolutely no bleed-through on the back of this paper.  

My next effort will be using paint on this paper type to see how it works.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...