Skip to main content

Practice and Materials Exploration

This piece is my beginning exploration into materials and substrates to better accommodate my latest painting/art-making process, and it is based on 'Portrait of a Woman' by Jacob Voet from the 1600s-1700s.

I've said before that to work much bigger, I need to change from markers to a different medium.  That means my substrates need to change as well.  My current preferences are for matte finish colors and for smoother surfaces to use them on.  Anything can change, but this is my starting point.

Yesterday's piece was sketched with Sharpie pen then dots and connecting lines were added after.  This first exploration used Bristol Drawing paper (uncoated; 146 lb.).  I started with the eye areas -- painting them in with Folk Art matte acrylics.  The paint did not go on easily nor smoothly.  So, I switched to Sharpie markers to complete the piece figuring the paints weren't going to work well.  Using the markers, there was a great deal of bleed-through on the paper's back.  In contrast with my Accent Opaque Digital 100lb. cover smooth cardstock (typically used for digital and offset printing), it was so much worse.  There had been little discernible bleed-through on the Accent paper.

In this piece I like the ribbon coloring, the odd hair patterning (to replicate lots of curls in the painting), and the dark background around the head.  It works well together.  My original eyes had a pink surface which would have totally changed the focus in this piece.  With the blue surface, it connects with the blue of the dress and unifies the piece versus pink that would have made it more top-heavy (since there is more pink/purple colors from the neck up).  It's interesting how something seems so small but can have a significant impact on the whole.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...