Skip to main content

Sharpies on New Substrate

Today's exploration was using Sharpies (white, pink and turquoise Posca pens and a gold Sakura PenTouch marker) on Fabriano 'Artistico' watercolor paper (140 lb. hot-pressed).  Because the paper is hot-pressed, it is smooth (cold-pressed has dimpling).  I really like this paper!!  It was so easy to work with and the Sharpies went on nicely--except for those with worn nibs or running out of color.  

I sketched the piece with my new Monoline Studio permanent pens.  The pens are really nice to work with.  I had my reference photo upside-down so I was drawing the image upside down too, and I sketched with my non-dominant hand.  I actually think the sketch is more true to the reference photo than the last 10 I've done so far.  I'm quite impressed and taken with that fact!  

As for the piece, I really like it!  I also like the patterns added and the echo lines done with the Sharpies around the border.  There was only a bit of blending on the back of the paper -- probably something that can't be prevented, and I'm ok with it considering how well the paper performed.

The next experiment will be watercolor and then acrylics on this Fabriano paper.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...