Skip to main content

A Different Short-term Creative Endeavor....Theater--I love it, I love it, I love it!!!

Last weekend was the closing of WVLO's production of 'Something Rotten' and what a fun show to have been a part of!!  For those who don't know, the show is a parody on Shakespeare's works.  The script together with the score and song lyrics are very clever and funny.  It is a production well-worth seeing, especially if it is done well!!  

It was also so rewarding to be part of this particular company -- in my role as Lightboard Operator.  The entire cast and crew were amazingly dedicated and professional...at a level higher than you'd expect for a typical community theater production.

I still have earworms from the show's opening number titled 'Welcome to the Renaissance' in addition to a couple other songs!  Plus I'm missing the show already, but am glad to have my weekends back.  

This is a photo of the wonderful company that pulled together during Tech Week to put on such a great show performance after performance -- and with so many standing ovations!!

Note:  If you're going to the show for a first time and want to prepare a bit, it is helpful to have seen or be familiar with some musicals (e.g. The Lion King, Annie, Music Man, Mary Poppins, etc.) and to know the time period of the Renaissance.  By the way, if you don't know Shakespeare's works, some of them include Romeo and Juliet, The Tempest, Twelfth Night, Hamlet and many others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Online Creative Retreat: Art Oasis 2026

I haven't participated in this retreat series before.  But I learned about it through an artist I follow, and she will be leading one of the sessions.  The retreat starts October 17th and runs through October 23rd (2026).  If you're interested in an opportunity to play artistically, here is the link for more information and where you can sign-up: https://jessicaswift.com/pages/art-oasis

Movie Review: Four Hands, Two Sonatas

Netflix has been advertising this limited Korean series recently added to the site's line-up.  The title peaked my interest.  So, I started watching it with no expectation other than knowing it was about two pianists.   I really liked how this Korean production was dubbed in English.  The English speakers (voice sound/tone/character) were terrifically cast as well as the timing of the spoken words' consistency with the mouthing of the Korean actors on-screen dialogue.   This series' storyline has a number of facets:  bullying, wealth vs poverty and access to arts training, musicianship, stage fright, competition, friendship, rivalry, sabotage, lack of confidence, revenge, etc.  The music is primarily classical and is lovely.   Four Hands, Two Sonatas is an off-beat show.  That said, I really enjoyed it (and the piano playing is terrific too)!  As a prior musician--there are many topics it brought up that I understand.   Overall, the...

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .