Skip to main content

3 Sililoquies

If you'd ever told me I'd be writing sililoquies, I would have chuckled asking you what a sililoquy is.

According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary (online version), the word means:

"a poem, discourse, or utterance of a character in a drama that has the form of a monologue or gives the illusion of being a series of unspoken reflections"

Have you ever read the "Alexandria Quartet" by Lawrence Durrell?  It is a tetralogy of novels (4 books).  As Durrell describes it, the first three novels (Justine, Balthazar and Mount Olive) offer the same sequence of events through several points of view showing their individual perspectives.  The fourth novel (Clea) shows change over time.  

I read the four books decades ago, and loved the idea of writing about events from different peoples's perspectives.  I don't remember the specifics of the books but found the idea behind their format inspiring. Whether and how that might take shape in my work (in some form) was an unanswered question until now.

I chose to mix Durrell's tetralogy concept with the sililoquy form.  Rather than his 4 books, I completed 3 sililoquies as of yesterday.  So my effort took much less time than his.  Each of my sililoquies represents one person who meets up with two others on an island and share an event together.  The sililoquy form has been used to provide a 'context' for understanding how the person has become who he/she is, what brought him/her to the island, and the shared event as remembered by that specific person.  

What I've learned from writing the sililoquies is that they are hard to write at the intersections.  I imagine Durrell had to keep lists of intersection points for the Quartet as well as specific information he wanted delivered to the audience and by which character.  His tetralogy impresses me for the detail, cross-referencing, cross-checking, and research that was likely involved in its creation.  It is also a fascinating way of examining a subject and the way individuals can see the same thing so differently.  

I have no idea if my pieces are good or not, and that really doesn't matter.  The adventure of creating them over the last month -- has been a gift because now I know I can do it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...