Skip to main content

A Threesome, Sharpie Painting

This piece has been in process for a couple of months and was finished today.  

The sweeping/swooping colored shapes are intended to come across as translucent film over the areas they cover including the face, clothes, etc. and sometimes even other swirly shapes either above or below.  

It takes time to do this kind of piece, especially since I wanted the subjects to have a recognizable form and some continuity of pose. It requires making color choices that involve gradations and that maintain some semblance of translucency. To do so is tiring because of the thinking through potential color choices and how they're likely to affect the piece. So, for me, work sessions were between two and three hours at a stretch.  More than that dulled my ability to do the kind of envisioning needed.  

As I look at this effort, it amazes me that no matter where I start looking, my eye constantly moves around the piece because there is little area for the eye to rest. The entire piece is loud, busy and demands more than a glance. That said, what do you notice about your observation process when you look at this piece?  How does your eye move around it? What are you considering as you look?          

This kind of project -- for me -- has been a lesson in patience and enjoying the fruits of the journey.  I'm grateful.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...