Skip to main content

Explorations - Substrates, Watercolors, and Sharpies, oh my!

These are small studies (3"x3") that were created using remnant paper from other art projects and a variety of art media.

The paper included Bristol drawing paper, cardstock, and watercolor paper.  The art media was primarily watercolors (Kuretake and Jane Davenport) and Sharpie pens while the basic sketch was done with a Staedtler Pigment Liner.  Other materials used for decoration included different combinations of Stickles, Posca pens, Gelly Roll pens, Sakura Pen Touch markers and acrylic paint.  

One thing I learned is that watercolor on Fluid 100 watercolor paper (300 lb.) is not easy to control when the paper is this small.  Pens and Stickles don't work well on it either.  (Photo of this experiment - not posted.)

I also learned that Jane Davenport's watercolors (that come on paper strips) are highly saturated with a wonderful range of hues.  However, they stain and soak very quickly into watercolor paper such that the watercolor can't be moved or removed with water.  (Photo of this experiment - not posted.)  I still have to try these watercolors on the cardstock and a heavier-weight watercolor paper to see if they behave differently.  

Overall, I like doing these little studies (the most successful ones posted above) -- because I like finished pieces that are serendipitously cohesive, even if they're experiments.       

How do you explore finding out what materials you prefer to work with in your art-making?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...