Skip to main content

Blind Contour, Drawing and Painting Works inspired from recent trip

Seeing new sites and experiencing new places, customs, languages, and events can all trigger inspiration for creatives regardless of the creative discipline.  

While abroad recently, my plan was to sketch and draw a great deal more than what I did...which ended up being almost nil.  Instead, I took lots of photos to capture the local life, tourist attractions visited, and charming scenery discovered.  After returning and downloading hundreds of photos, I've started sketching and drawing images inspired by some of them.  

In the work below, my intention has been to capture a scene.  Accuracy isn't a priority....capturing the essence is. Sometimes, the more fluid and/or less accurate or wonky a drawing is...can lead to more whimsical and delightful pieces. 

FYI - A blind contour, of which there are three below, is done by only looking at the subject--not the paper you're drawing on or while one is drawing.  As much as possible, the pen should never leave the paper until the artist feels it is finished.

Blind Contour - Castle


Sketch - Funky Building


Drawing - Canal with Bridge Scene


Drawing (finished with Watercolor and Markers) - 1624 Decorative Building Frontage


Drawing - Canal with Drawbridge Scene


Blind Contour - Cathedral with Multiple Towers


Blind Contour - Church with Distorted Perspective


Drawing of Canal with Bridges, Buildings, and Tourist Boat Turning


Painting (using Tempera Sticks and Markers)  - Imitation of a Hans Holbein II Painting


Drawing (finished with Watercolor) - a Giverny corner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...