Skip to main content

Zine for Book: Jo van Gogh-Bonger - The Woman Who Made Vincent Famous

Update:  I've finished reading the book now as well.  It was a lengthy and interesting read.  There were times when I felt like a ping pong ball due to section topics where events included those that were in earlier, and sometimes unrelated, sections.  It made envisioning the timeline challenging.  The bibliography is excellent and takes more than 100 pages of the book.  That said, I learned a lot!  It makes my recent visit to the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam all the richer knowing more of the family's background and understanding just how vital a force Jo van Gogh-Bonger was in creating the level of appreciation for Vincent's work that is renown today -- across the globe. 

Original Post:

The zine is done, but not the book.  I'm halfway through it and expect to have many more notes. So I've started writing on the back of this single sheet of paper used to create the zine.  It's already a treasure trove of key points about her life through the point of Vincent's and Theo's deaths.  (She and Theo were married only 21 months.  The last 3 months of Theo's life, he had to be hospitalized/institutionalized.) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...