Skip to main content

Permission Was Not Granted - A Lesson

In this day and age -- of social media, AI, boundaries (that seem to be indiscriminately pushed), people who don't seem to know right from wrong/respect from disrespect, people who don't regard others' authorship/ownership (of material, products, services, and information, etc. posted online) -- understanding privacy settings and using them appropriately in the digital environment are vital.  I just learned quite a lesson.

Earlier in the year, I had a consultation with an artist I respect for his/her retail and design talents.  Our dialogue was captured on video by the consultant to share with me privately via YouTube.  The uploaded video had a privacy setting of 'Private'.  This setting prevents accessing a video through the platform except for those the owner invites/designates.  Unfortunately, I couldn't access it at the 'Private' setting, so the setting was changed to 'Unlisted'.  This setting did allow me to access the video, but little did I know that anyone else would be able to as well...but only if they could find it.  (Videos with the 'Unlisted' setting, don't show up in search results, so they are harder but not impossible to find.)  Last night while doing a Google search, I found the video had been posted to someone's LinkedIn page - and because it was embedded, the video could be directly viewed there.  To say I was shocked was an understatement.

In follow-up, I contacted the consultant for help.  The video's YouTube security setting was immediately revised from its 'Unlisted' status to 'Private'...so it would no longer be available.  Shortly thereafter, it was deleted from the site entirely.  

What did I learn?  

You can't trust others to ask for permission before using your information.  This is true for anything you post on any social media platform as well as what you send in emails, texts, etc.!  You also have to be clear about expectations when uploading or allowing the upload of any of your information to social media platforms.  

The person who posted the consultant's video, in my case, was in the wrong for not asking permission to post it (the answer of which would have been no in any case) and let me be clear....an 'Unlisted' video security setting on YouTube IS NOT permission to use such videos without contacting the owner for permission!  

The consultant could have asked me to advise him/her when I finished with the video so the setting could be changed back to Private (from Unlisted) and/or to ask that I advise him/her when I was done with it so it could be deleted.  

I, too, bear some responsibility in that I should have understood what the settings differences meant, and I could have asked the consultant to delete the video when I was done with it.

All this is to say BE AWARE AND MINDFUL when you post anything especially if you intend for it to be private.  Ensure your privacy settings reflect what you want to happen and do regular name searches in various search engines to see whether something untoward shows up that you need to step in to handle.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visiting The Hague and Amsterdam (Netherlands), and Paris!

Since late March, I've been planning an international solo trip that included meeting up with friends.   The planning is what makes a trip an adventure, and it was definitely fabulous -- now that it is in the rearview mirror -- so to speak.   During my two weeks abroad, the sights visited included the: Mauritshuis, a lovely art museum (The Hague, Netherlands) Binnenhof (The Hague, Netherlands) Delft (Netherlands) Kasteel de Haar, a castle (Haarzuilens, Netherlands) Museum Speelklok (Utrecht, Netherlands) Walking Tour of Amsterdam (Netherlands) Rijksmuseum (Amsterdam, Netherlands) Van Gogh Museum (Amsterdam, Netherlands) Dutch Resistance Museum (Amsterdam, Netherlands) De Oude and Nieuwe Kerks aka old and new churches (Amsterdam, Netherlands) Anne Frank House (Amsterdam, Netherlands) Sainte Chapelle/Conciergerie (Paris, France) Giverny - Monet's residence at one time (outside Paris) Versailles (outside Paris) Musee d'Orsay/VR Event titled 1874 Impressionists First Exhibition

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Concertina Dazzle Days

If you don't know what a Concertina Sketchbook is, it is folded paper (back and forth) that looks like the bellows of an accordion when done.  Concertinas can be home-made or purchased, and they are fun to work in.     The photos above are of three continuous two-page spreads from my own Concertina (the one on the right - the latest). The mark-making was done with Sharpie markers, Posca pens, Micron pens and Sakura PenTouch markers.   All the shapes and color choices in the images above were spontaneous as well as the details.  There was no plan.  What I like about these is that each two-page spread collaborates with the next one and so on (as the designs spill over from one spread to the next). As new ones are created, they  add to the wonderful visual feast. One of the things I love doing with these also -- is to crop sections and digitally mirror them to form symmetrical designs. The results are occasionally delightful.  In fact, this one was made from such a process and has a n