Skip to main content

Concertina - One Side Finished

This is a photo of six, two-page spreads in a Concertina sketchbook that I just finished.  The actual size is about 6.5" high by 36" wide.  The lovely Concertina sketchbook is a product of Seawhite, a U.K. company.  It can easily be worked on both sides. 

The two-page spreads were colored in with Sharpie markers plus Posca, Sakura PenTouch and Micron pens.  My only intention was to have continuity from one spread to the next.  Overall, it definitely changes in 'feel' when looking from left to right.  That includes the shapes (from sharp to rounded), the design (more free further right), color palette (from warmer to cooler colors) and busyness.  

Each spread took me about 4 hours.  The next step is to finish the other side - which will take some time especially if the work is as detailed. 

Question:  Do you use your visual art as a prompt for writing?  

I'm thinking of looking at this as if it were a scroll and for the story it could inspire or tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Four Hands, Two Sonatas

Netflix has been advertising this limited Korean series recently added to the site's line-up.  The title peaked my interest.  So, I started watching it with no expectation other than knowing it was about two pianists.   I really liked how this Korean production was dubbed in English.  The English speakers (voice sound/tone/character) were terrifically cast as well as the timing of the spoken words' consistency with the mouthing of the Korean actors on-screen dialogue.   This series' storyline has a number of facets:  bullying, wealth vs poverty and access to arts training, musicianship, stage fright, competition, friendship, rivalry, sabotage, lack of confidence, revenge, etc.  The music is primarily classical and is lovely.   Four Hands, Two Sonatas is an off-beat show.  That said, I really enjoyed it (and the piano playing is terrific too)!  As a prior musician--there are many topics it brought up that I understand.   Overall, the...

Free Online Creative Retreat: Art Oasis 2026

I haven't participated in this retreat series before.  But I learned about it through an artist I follow, and she will be leading one of the sessions.  The retreat starts October 17th and runs through October 23rd (2026).  If you're interested in an opportunity to play artistically, here is the link for more information and where you can sign-up: https://jessicaswift.com/pages/art-oasis

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .