Skip to main content

Poem-Making - Discovering some of the Technical Lore in Understanding and Writing It


I'm reading Mary Oliver's 'A Poetry Handbook'.  As part of doing so, marginalia (making notes in the margin) is a practice by some readers that I'm finding very helpful.  There are many new-to-me words that definitions on the same page are very useful to have (e.g. prosody, enjambment).  Then there is her chapter about metrical lines that is a whole new world to me, although master poets and/or writers may view it as common knowledge.  Using marginalia is also providing me the opportunity to make related observations based on my experience as a former musician.  

In music, a learner is taught that there is a specific number of beats in each measure based on a time signature.  That is what I find resonating for me as I read about the metrical line of prose that Ms. Oliver writes about.  She presents a very nice legend of metrical lines in poetry (five-foot, four-foot, three-foot, etc.), their names (pentameter, tetrameter, trimeter, respectively and etc.), and how each 'foot' of a metrical line is defined.  This is so similar to a musical score -- each measure being broken down into its notes/note values that equal the designated 'time signature'.  

When writing my own poetry, especially when I want to rhyme, I will count the number of syllables of each line to ensure they have the right number/rhythmic feel.  Sometimes I will replace words that don't work with the rhythmic feel in order to create consistency in the line with those in the same stanza.

I'm only 1/3 of the way through The Poetry Handbook and expect to be learning a lot more, especially as it relates to carrying the creative intention to fruition through words while seeing it through the eye of musical composition/rhythm.

Mary Oliver was a devoted reader of other classic poets and poetry anthologies -- highly recommending such work especially for students.  Do you have a favorite poet/poetry collection you recommend to others?


Note:  From the MasterClass website, it defines each foot as being made up of one stressed syllable and at least one unstressed syllable.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...