Skip to main content

New Zine-in-Progress

I recently took a zine-making class with Erika Rier.  It wasn't about making mini-zines (out of 8.5"x11" copy paper).  Her course was about the zine type that is done as a collection of print-ready sheets for reproduction by a printer (each sheet has a two-page spread).  So, the original work (on sheets) is not intended as a work of art itself.

My effort has been ambitious...a 12-page zine (including the front and back covers).  Oh my gosh, what a lot of work!!  Each student is creating his/her dummy, storyboard, and sheets that will have evolved over the process to the point of having a printable version of all the sheets.  

My subject choice was owls.  Doing the detail work is intensive.  Because, for example, lines that continue from one page to a different page (likely on different sheets) -- have to be checked to ensure they connect properly.  

Below is a photo of one 'sheet' from the total of six that I'm still working on.  On top is a separate drawing of a new character to audition for an open space needing to be filled.  Providing that it is the one used, it will have to be separately drawn on the sheet.  A lightbox can work great for this, provided the substrate is a weight/thickness that allows the drawing to be seen through the paper.  Then the tracing is easy.


Do you have experience mass-producing and selling your zines?  If yes, do you have any tips for someone new to doing this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...