Skip to main content

Zines - A Dousing of News Clips

Through August 31st (2025), we've lived through 224 days of the second Donald J. Trump Presidency.  Upon his inauguration, I began a zine series representing the news articles/issues for roughly two-month periods of time.  PoliZine #1 covered Inauguration Day through February 28, and PoliZine #2 covered March 1 through April 30.  

This post contains photos of PoliZine #3 (May 1-June 30) and PoliZine #4 (July 1-August 31).  Both are digital collages of many shared Facebook posts from those time periods about political stories prominent in the news cycle during the respective periods.  

These PoliZines feel like hosting containers for information dumps I've needed to make for my own unburdening.  None of them are pretty, and they have no order.  But isn't that what we -- who are citizens of the U.S. -- have been living through since January 20th?  Looking at it this way, they seem quite fitting.

How are you artfully expressing your reactions, positively or negatively, to the politics of our time?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...