Skip to main content

Quilt National 2025 - Traveling Exhibit

I recently visited our local quilt museum to see the juried entries in Quilt National 2025.  It usually is a impressive array of quilts and fiber art.  I was surprised, however, with how much more neutral the palette of colors used in this year's exhibited quilts contrasted with what I've seen in prior years' entries and winners.  These are still lovely pieces in their own right from Susan Else's quilted sculpture to simulated bark on the forest floor to a burning geodesic dome.  That said, it was more of the narratives accompanying the art quilts that gave depth to the meaning of the imagery.  

Every juried entry in to Quilt National is a winner regardless of a ribbon.  They are spectacularly well-executed, thoughtful in their approach to the subject of their work, and use fabrics and decoration in  unusual ways.  

This is a sampling of my favorite art quilts/fiber art in the Quilt National 2025 exhibition. 
"Forest Floor, Tree Bark Frangments, Var. 10" by Barbara Schneider
Something to Say" by Susan Else
"More than Black & White #4" by Russ Little
"Bio-sphere on Fire" by Ann Houle
"Two Fish, Blue Fish" by Jan Soules

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...