Skip to main content

Urban Sketchwork

Sunday, I drove downtown early and parked for an hour before an event to sketch while waiting to go into the venue.  So, with a sketchbook, pencil and pen, I worked in the car...something I've not done before.  

The basic sketch was rough (see photo below).  Given the available work time, it had three light poles, a sidewalk outline, three building starts and a couple of Palm Trees.

Yesterday, I added more content--much of it from memory.  (Working from memory is something I don't normally do either.)  Today, I finished by adding color and more detail (see finished photo).  The tools used were pencil, Muji pen, watercolor and acrylic paints.

In looking at the finished image, it appears that the cars are facing downhill with a rise just beyond the first light post as the pavement curves to the right.  The opposing lane could be viewed as downhill from this roadway.  In fact, the scene that I was sketching was on level ground.  So I have to figure out how to draw that.   An exploration for another time.

Overall, I like what I did because it 'reads' as an urban area, and I feel brave for having tried this, because it isn't the genre I usually work in.  Yay!   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...