Skip to main content

Lynda Barry's 'Making Comics' book - Some Daily Diary Work

For those of you who don't know Lynda Barry, she is an American cartoonist and an Associate Professor of Interdisciplinary Creativity at the University of Wisconson-Madison.  She has also received a MacArthur Fellowship.  Her work is stunningly imaginative.  Her drawings complemented by her writing is the reason she has published numerous books...my favorite so far being 'What It Is'.  

I'm only a third of the way through her 'Making Comics' book, and what I've accomplished so far--is filling a Michael Roger Decomposition Book of my work based on Barry's Daily Diary practice.  

The first part of her course and that I did was to create a caricature-like image of me using the principles of Brunetti.  The result is not as sophisticated as a caricature and not as simplistic as a stick figure.  Rather, it is inbetween and has characteristics of how I think of myself (like having short hair, wearing glasses, my hands drawn as mittens, etc.).  

The daily practice has two elements.  One was doing a timed sketch responding to a prompt.  The medium was a marking pen on a large index card.  You were to choose a prompt from her list and draw yourself as if you were in, doing, or responding to that prompt e.g. for example, interacting with an octopus, running from a giant snowball.  Whatever you drew was to be visual without words.

It's so interesting to see what you can do in a short time...the corners cut, the marks or lines included or left out that suggest an action or reaction, and how one can convey environment.

 In this collage of eight efforts, can you match up the prompt with the image without looking at the prompt that may be visible in the collage?

*As a viking        
*As a pirate
*Goddess of Spring
*As a puppet
*As a French person
*As a cave person with a pal
*Wearing a favorite wig or hairstyle
*Signing to someone deaf


Do you see the 'me' characteristics (as mentioned above) in this collage or even other ones?

If you're now interested in exploring Lynda's book, this is the one to look for:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...