Skip to main content

A Pencil Version

Based on the photo reference of Billie Burke used in other efforts recently, I did this mechanical pencil drawing of her earlier today. The substrate is Bienfang watercolor paper (140 lb.).  The area surrounding the figure is gesso'd; the figure is not.

I added the line work/shading of the glove and coat elements after completing the face.  The face looks lovely by itself.  So, those addition elements distract a bit from the face's elegance.  In any case, I like this piece and am calling it done (for now anyway).  

My next effort is to turn the reference photo upside down and draw it that way.  I wonder if or how much it will resemble her.


    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...