Skip to main content

Sharpie Work on New Substrate

For last night's effort, I've directly applied Sharpies on a new substrate--Master's Touch Watercolor Paper (140 lb.), a Hobby Lobby brand.  Some of my Sharpies are getting low on ink and some have slightly worn nibs, but overall I like how the color went on and most was done with one coat.  I'm impressed with the paper.  There was a bit of bleed-through on the back but so slight it isn't important

The florescent Sharpies in this piece have a big role, and using the neon pink for the border was a last-minute decision.  It is a competitive color...competing for the attention of the observer.  That said, do you think it distracts from seeing the face first?

What I find distracting to me -- are the loops in the upper left because the colors don't work well together.  There is no flow.  I may have to audition some other colors to see if they could have made this area better had they been used.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...