Skip to main content

5-minute Sketch and Finished Effort

Today's 5-minute sketch to me suggests gender and potential upper class, but there is no hint of age. Before reading further, imagine the finished piece.  What do you anticipate it will look like?










A photo of the finished effort is below.  Does she look like what you imagined she might?   If not, what would have helped you in the 5-minute sketch to imagine her more similarly to this completed image?  What could have been left out in the above sketch -- that would have allowed more time to focus on including the helpful elements?




For me, the helpful elements might have been the lips and the lines from the nose to the lips, maybe the eyes, and the hand/arm.  What would I have sacrificed?  I would have left out the lines of the outfit (except for the outline), the darkened nostrils, and the ears.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...