Skip to main content

Kiln-fired Glazed Pots - The First Batch

Here are the first 10 of 22 pots made in my Beginning Wheel-throw Pottery class! 

Of the ten, two have been done in the same-colored glaze.  Among the glazes used were:

  • Perky Purple
  • Blue Celadon
  • Lehman's Shino
  • Butter
  • Monterey Bay
It's amazing what the glaze does for each piece.  'Butter' was used for the two on the lower right of the photo that are speckled.  I like how they came out...earthy.  My favorite result was the Perky Purple.  It is a matte color and has a very smooth finish.  

I'm thinking about creating a signature for my pots including a date reference and a pot number.  That way, I'll be able to place them in chronological order and more easily see my skill development over time.

The rest of my pots from the class are on the studio shelf awaiting firing.  The next batch are in even more different glaze colors.  Ooh-la-la...the possibilities!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...