Skip to main content

Book Review: Peter Wohlleben's The Hidden Life of Trees: A Graphic Adaptation by Bernard and Flao


I've just finished reading this well done graphic adaptation.  It is authored by a man in Europe looking back at his youth and life path that evolved into forest management and at the same time -- advocating for primary forests over tree plantations.

In an art course earlier this year, my focus area was on tree bark.  To study that focus area,  I looked at many resources to learn how a tree lives, what the bark does, how deep the bark is that covers a tree trunk, and several other wonderings.  I found this book as one of my resources. 

Some of the fascinating tidbits in the book include:

  • trees are 1/3 above-ground and 2/3 underground;
  • trees need rest (non-light) time; 
  • a tree will typically only produce one successor tree; 
  • mother trees will connect their roots to their offspring to help them get started but won't do the same for a seedling that is from another tree; and, 
  • you can sit under a walnut tree and not worry about mosquitos -- because this kind of tree has tannins that keep insects away.

The Hidden Life of Trees, authored by a conservationist, is a very good read.  You'll appreciate trees much more, as a result.  Besides, the art in this graphic adaptation is perfect in supporting the author's narrative!  

In case you're wondering, the book is printed on responsibly-sourced paper.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...