Skip to main content

Movie Review: Four Hands, Two Sonatas

Netflix has been advertising this limited Korean series recently added to the site's line-up.  The title peaked my interest.  So, I started watching it with no expectation other than knowing it was about two pianists.  

I really liked how this Korean production was dubbed in English.  The English speakers (voice sound/tone/character) were terrifically cast as well as the timing of the spoken words' consistency with the mouthing of the Korean actors on-screen dialogue.  

This series' storyline has a number of facets:  bullying, wealth vs poverty and access to arts training, musicianship, stage fright, competition, friendship, rivalry, sabotage, lack of confidence, revenge, etc.  The music is primarily classical and is lovely.  

Four Hands, Two Sonatas is an off-beat show.  That said, I really enjoyed it (and the piano playing is terrific too)!  As a prior musician--there are many topics it brought up that I understand.  

Overall, the show is a very good window into what truly loving the playing of music is, and what it takes to do it at an extraordinary level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...