Skip to main content

2020 Art in a Pandemic Year - Accomplishments

Art provided a tethering to purpose during shelter-at-home and other activities restricted or curtailed during the year.  Blank canvases, journals, paper and pen, etc. provided the open doors to expressing our feelings of imposed solitude, fear, loneliness, futility, stress and the myriad other emotions felt in 2020.

Did you depend on some art form this year to maintain some sense of rhythm to the passing days?  For me, it was a surprise to see how much I relied on it -- as a stress reliever, for learning new methods and gaining some regularity of practice, and as a meditative tool.  

If you're an artist, what was your experience with art-making in 2020?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Project in Progress

I'm working on a new project with multiple layers and shapes of different colored organzas.  It is an interpretation of lighting on an ice rink...from a show I recently saw.  There is a lot more stitching to do, but I like how its coming along.  I'm learning organzas are not easy to work with especially when you layer them and have overlaid edges.  The fabric also tends to ravel easily. This post also linked to  http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com .

Fine Art Restoration - video

This is an exceptional video of a fine art restoration...just beautifully done (and the music is lovely too)!
People have great ideas!  They may be friends, colleagues, artist contacts, or even strangers.  In this case, it was an artist friend who provided the genesis of this new Blurb magazine through a conversation over zoom.   The magazine contains 151 of my favorite photos taken over the years.  I'm using it in an art class where the assignment is to review the photos we are drawn to -- for the qualities that draw our notice.  Easier said than done, you may ask?  Yes, it is.   However, by looking at and thinking about why I like these photos, there are some common attributes.  They may have patterns, textures, depth, play between light and shadow, and/or an overall pleasing composition.  They all have a sense of 'quiet'.  The occasional quirky and whimsical images are always a delight, even though more rare.     In sum, the photos in the magazine (examples below) are one element of my point of view.  That is to bring unnoticed...